Ali: We will not relent on Mungiki
Published on May 4, 2008, 12:00 am
By Cyrus Ombati
The crackdown on Mungiki sect members will continue, Commissioner of Police, Maj-Gen Hussein Ali, has said.
Ali said that like any other criminal gang, the group has to be stopped from its lawless activities.
“It is not exceptional. The war on criminal gangs will continue to ensure wananchi live safely. Mungiki is an illegal gang,” he said.
Ali said the group is behind several crimes in the country.
His remarks came in the wake of calls by some central Kenya leaders that the police stop targeting youth from the region in the name of fighting Mungiki.
The leaders have also demanded that sect leader, Maina Njenga, be released from jail.
Ali denied claims that police were behind the killings of some sect leaders in the past months.
“These are fights within the criminal gang and police do not get engage in such wars. Ours is professional,” said the police boss.
He made the remarks in Nairobi after opening a seminar of court prosecutors on the newly created statutes.
The statutes include Sexual Offences Act, Media Act, Forest Act, Political Parties Act, Employment Act, Refugees Act and Witness Protection Act.
Some sect followers have complained that officers assigned to crack down on the sect are extorting money from them.
Njenga had also claimed that some Government “emissaries” had visited him in jail as part of talks aimed at solving the crisis.
The police boss had earlier said that investigations have been launched into the killing of two Mungiki leaders on Naivasha road last Monday.
Two other bodies of suspected sect leaders were found at Machakos District Hospital mortuary.
Ali added that preliminary investigation had indicated that five gunmen were involved in the shooting.