//
you're reading...
News

KENYA, TRANSACTIONS HALTED ON GRAND REGENCY SALE

Orengo halts Grand Regency dealings

Written By:Judy Maina   , Posted: Wed, Jul 09, 2008

Lands Minister James Orengo says no more transactions over the Grand Regency Hotel will take place until investigations by the cabinet sub-committee team are complete.

Orengo at the same time says his ministry is harmonizing a national land policy that will give guidelines on how to dispose public or government land.

The Lands Minister says the policy will be taken to parliament for enactment once it has been harmonized.

Orengo spoke a day after the Finance Minister Amos Kimunya bowed to pressure and stepped aside to pave way for investigations into the controversial Grand Regency sale.

He made the remarks when members of the East African Legislative Assembly-EALA paid him a visit to his office in Nairobi.

The EALA members are holding consultations with ministries and stakeholders on Kenya’s position with regard to the creation of a common market for East Africa States and freedom of movement for people and services through the integration.

Last week, the High Court stopped a Libyan company, from carrying out dealings on it.

That meant that the company remains the owner of the hotel but it cannot transfer it or dispose it off until the court hears the case.

High Court Judge Mr Justice Alnashir Visram issued temporary orders stopping the company known as Libyan Arab African Investment from interfering with the ownership of the hotel for the next 14 days.

The Judge granted the temporary order following application by one of the hotel’s receiver manager Mr Hezekiah Gichohi.

Mr Gichohi wanted the transfer of the hotel stopped because he says it owes him Sh34 million.

He says the decision by the Central Bank of Kenya to secretly transfer the hotel will interfere with his right to the money.

He believes that the transfer of the hotel is illegal and should be stopped.

Today (Wednesday) ,Hezekiah Gichohi one of the joint receiver managers of Grand Regency Hotel through his advocate Kibe Mungai is suing Central Bank governor Prof. Njuguna Ndungu of publishing falsehoods against him.

Gichohi argues that through press statement dated 23rd April this year, Ndungu published a wrong report against him.

Last week he was in court demanding over 34 million shillings as his remuneration.

Advertisements

About SG

Secretary general of Chama Cha Mwananchi. This blog www.chamachamwananchi.wordpress.com, is based in Sweden.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: