Kenyans in SA ready to dispose their properties
Written By:Irene Muchuma , Posted: Sat, May 24, 2008
As Kenyans and other African immigrants continue to flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa, efforts to quell the unrest intensified with army troops shooting dead a man in Johannesburg after he pointed a gun at the officers.
Army troops have been deployed to assist the police to end the violence that has claimed over 40 lives.
Several Kenyans fearing for their lives have said they are selling their property in order to return home.
Already the Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it is ready to evacuate any willing Kenyan from South Africa following the violence that has left some 42 people dead.
Police in South Africa overwhelmed by the unrest called for support from the army on Thursday.
About 20,000 soldiers have now been deployed to Johannesburg, where the xenophobic attacks began nearly two weeks ago.
The South African government through Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo issued an apology to all affected by the attacks saying it is concerned by the outburst of violence, while ruling ANC party has called on party members to form local committees to combat violence against foreigners and to assist the victims.
The violence has been experienced in six of South Africa’s nine provinces so far, with foreigners being blamed for high crime rates in the country and depriving local South Africans of jobs